Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour 2009 and trying to be "green"


I need to be way more green than I am and I ashamed to say that I just got on the recycling bandwagon. However tonight is a chance for us all to make at least a small difference quite easily.


Tonight is Earth Hour for the entire globe at 8:30 PM your time.


You simply have to turn off the lights for one hour to show your support. Maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference as some people have argued but it makes a little difference and all this adds up eventually. I believe it's the commitment that counts.

Living where I do, there is no recycling available so I always used that as my excuse to not recycle and just trash everything. Just recently I made a commitment to recycle and you now what? It feels good. It makes me have hope that if this world is still around when my kids grow up then maybe I'll have helped a little to keep it a safe place.


Here's a great link about what needs to be recycled and how to do it. For example did you know that crayons should be recycled? I didn't. Woman's Day has a neat article about free ways to recycle. Check it out here.


For more information you can visit EARTHHOUR.org
Here's a video on You Tube about the last years' light's out hour.


So what are you going to do in your dark hour tonight? Maybe we'll light candle's and play games with my older kids, or just read in quiet. I don't know but I know we could all use an hour of being unplugged so try it and tell me what you thought.

Be Blessed,
Jessica Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment